Saturday, February 28, 2015

Free Pattern: Scallop Seashell Washcloths






  Use these washcloths to brighten your decor and inspire thoughts of a warm summer day on the beach. A few ridges of raised post stitches worked in super-soft cotton make the perfect combination of soft and scrubby. They're also durable enough to use for dishcloths, but may be too pretty to use in the kitchen! The large spaces at the top of the pattern make the perfect space to hang them by, or use a little extra yarn to attach a hanging chain. One 2 oz (56.7 g) ball will make two washcloths, with enough yarn leftover to make the matching Scallop Seashell Soap Saver!





  You can use your own choice of color to match your decor. I used this color because it reminds me of the pastel yellow, pink, and aqua decor that is often seen around the coast in my home state. Since moving inland, these are a nice reminder of days picking up calico scallop shells with the sand between my toes.









  Get ready for some post stitch practice with this pattern - Experienced crocheters: You've got this! But for newbies to post stitches, you'll be alternating front and back post double crochet to create texture on only one side of the project. They're spaced pretty far apart and easy to find, but you'll get some experience with making another basic stitch in the post stitch, too.










Skill level:









Materials:
Worsted weight (4) cotton yarn
-Peaches and Creme Pastel Delight used
Crochet hook size I/9 - 5.50MM or size needed to obtain gauge
Smaller hook or yarn needle to weave in ends





Gauge:
in 4" by 4" (10 cm by 10 cm) -
14 dc in 7 rows







Notes:
Chain at beginning of rows counts as stitch.

Each post stitch counts as a double crochet in the stitch count at the end of the row.

Tutorials are now available! Click here to start with Part One







Stitches and abbreviations:

Front post double crochet (fpdc)
Back post double crochet (bpdc)
Single crochet three together (sc3tog)

Begin/beginning (beg)
Skip (sk)
Space (sp)





Directions:


For main body, begin with a magic circle.


Row 1:
Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), 5 dc in ring. (6 dc)


Row 2:
Chain 3, turn. (Fpdc, 1 dc in the same st) 3 times. Fpdc, 1 dc in last st. (9 dc)


Row 3:
Ch 3, turn, 1 dc in the same st. (Bpdc, 1 dc) 4 times. 1 dc in the same st. (11 dc)


Row 4:
Ch 3, turn. 1 dc in the next st. (Fpdc, 1 dc in the same st, 1 dc in the next st) 3 times. Fpdc, 2 dc in the last st. (14 dc)


Row 5:
Ch 3, turn, 1 dc in the same st. 1 dc in the next st. (Bpdc, 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc) 4 times. 1 dc in the same st. (16 dc)


Row 6:
Ch 3, turn, (1 dc in each of the next 2 dc. Fpdc, 1 dc in the same st) 3 times. Fpdc, 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc. (19 dc)


Row 7:
Ch 3, turn, 1 dc in the same st. 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc. (Bpdc, 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc) 4 times. 1 dc in the same st. (21 dc)


Row 8:
Ch 3, turn. 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc. (Fpdc, 1 dc in the same st, 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc) 3 times. Fpdc, 1 dc in each of the next 4 dc. (24 dc)


Row 9:
Ch 3, turn, 1 dc in the same st. 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc. (Bpdc, 1 dc in each of the next 4 dc) 4 times, 1 dc in the last st. (26 dc)


Row 10:
Ch 1 (counts as 1 sc), turn. Sc3tog. (Hdc, fpdc, hdc, 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc) 3 times. Hdc, fpdc, hdc, sc3tog, 1 sc in the last st.


Bind off, weave in the ends before working border.





For border:


With the right side facing, join with a sl st in the side post-space of Row 2.
(With the last row worked at the top, this space will be on the left if you're right-handed, and on the right for lefties.)


Round 1:
Click here for tutorial
Ch 5 (counts as 1 dc, ch-2), 1 dc in the same sp. 2 dc in the next sp. (Fpdc, 1 dc in the same st) 3 times. Fpdc. 2 dc in the next side post-sp, (1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc) in the next. Ch 2, sc3tog beg in the same sp, ch 1. 2 hdc in the same as last. (Ch 2, 2 dc in the next post-sp) 5 times. Ch 2, 2 dc in the next st. *Ch 2, fpdc in next fpdc, ch 2, sk 1, 2 dc. Ch 2, fpdc in the next available fpdc. Ch 2*, sk 1, (2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr) in the following dc. Repeat from * to *. Skip 2, 2 dc in the last sc. (Ch 2, 2 dc in the next post-sp) 5 times. Ch 2, 2 hdc in next, ch 1, sc3tog beg in same as last. Ch 2, join with a sl st to beg ch-3.


Round 2: Edit - There was a missing ( )! Sorry! It's now fixed.
Ch 1, sc in ch-2 corner sp. Ch 3, 2 sc in the same sp. 1 sc in each of the next 13 dc. (2 sc, ch 3, 2 sc) in ch-2 corner sp. Sc3tog beg in dc, ending in sc3tog of previous round.  1 sc in ch-1 sp. (2 sc in the next post-sp) 5 times. (2 sc, ch 1, 2 sc) in corner ch-2 sp. (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in each of the next 9 ch-2 sps, again in the corner ch-2 sp. (2 sc in the next post-sp) 5 times. 1 sc in ch-1 sp, sc3tog beg in the same, endng in the ch-2 sp. Join with a sl st to beg ch-1.


Bind off, weave in ends.






  *Sorry to all of those who had trouble with those sc3tog stitches! Hopefully you can find the help you need in the new tutorials. Part one will walk you through beginning the body of the pattern, all the way through part six to finish it - Or find links in each tutorial to skip to the section you need. Happy crocheting! 


24 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by to party with us at our last Yarn Fanatic Linky Party! Always love seeing the crocheted pieces and stories you share.
    #27 is live - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/03/yarn-fanatic-linky-party-27.html. Hope you'll stop by to party with us again.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I previously commented on this, and that it was waiting approval but my last one went straight through... Hmm... LOL. Well, in case I didn't - I DO LOVE THIS PATTERN! You've chosen a beautiful colorway for it, and come up with a great pattern. I can't wait to find some beachy looking yarn and get started.
      Alexandra
      EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks, as always, Alexandra! Sorry for the trouble, I seem to be having a comment problem involving cookies. As for this pattern - The color of the yarn I used seems to be discontinued, although I've seen some available online on various sites.

      However, I'm considering making another set in Lily Sugar n' Cream ( yarnspirations.com ), they have scented yarn in beautiful colors, and any of their worsted works as a substitute!

      Looking forward to the next YFP for sure...But can we include tutorials? I have an "interesting" one, if so - I'll be there either way!

      Delete
    3. Horrible pattern! I wasted three days on it! So not happy!

      Delete
    4. To Anonymous - I'm disappointed to hear that! Many people are having trouble with the beginning of the border and the placement of the sc3tog stitches; I'm interested to know where you had difficulties, too. I do have extra tutorial photos from helping others finish the pattern, and I would be happy to share them with you, so your three days isn't wasted time.

      Delete
  2. I cannot for the life of me figure out the border part of this pattern, mine is coming out very lop sided looks wrong hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous -
      The two biggest problems I had while working them was remembering to join in the post space of Round 2, and not in the first round. The second problem was getting the sc3tog stitches in the correct post spaces. It would help to know - How far do you get before it becomes lopsided?

      Delete
  3. Jenny I love the seashell pattern. Thanks for sharing on Simple Saturdays.

    Hugs from Oklahoma,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie! I'm glad I found your blog, it's great!
      That was the first "hop" I've participated in; I had fun!
      -Jenny

      Delete
    2. I can't figure out the border. I go down the left side and mess up on the bottom and coming towards the right side. I don't even see where to put sc3tog on the right side to even it out.

      Delete
    3. Many people are having the same problem, sewcrazy, thanks for asking for help! The most common problem seems to be joining the border in the incorrect row - It begins in row 2, and it will throw the whole thing off if you miss it. I have some photos with graphics pointing out key problem areas. If you would like to contact me on Google+ or find Crochet is the Way on Facebook, I can share them directly to you. Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can put together a full tutorial for these.

      Delete
  4. Your pattern for the border is SO CONFUSING. Can you post a tutorial with pictures??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emmelene - It's already in the making! I'm in the process of putting the tutorial together, but I'm fighting a flare up with my RA, so it's a slow process. Typing is quite painful right now. I hope to have it ready by next week. Sorry for the delay, but it will be available soon!

      Delete
  5. Would you be willing to post a video tutorial for the whole project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Rebecca! That is a question that I won't say "no" to, but I can't do a video tutorial at this time. My hands never got any better after the picture tutorial, and I'm now fighting one of the worst RA flare-ups I've ever had. When and if I get better, I'll see if I can put a video together.

      If there's any part of the pattern that I could walk you through with highlighted photos or explanations, let me know and I'll try to help. Sorry again, but I'll put a video on my "to do someday" list!

      Delete
  6. these crochet shell washcloths are adorable! Kristina is doing her home in coastal decor so I am sure she will LOVE a few of these :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach-y themes are awesome. I hope she does enjoy them!

      Delete
    2. As soon as I saw them I thought of K =D

      Delete
  7. These are hands-down the prettiest crochet washcloths I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're too pretty, lol! I put them out to be used, and The Other Half goes and gets a plain washcloth instead. Someday I'll convince him that I can make more if he destroys them.

      Delete
  8. Love this pattern. Such cute washcloths! Will bring me back to the beach each time I use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pattern! Seashells is not something I've seen before.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is now enabled because of those nasty spammers - Sorry!
Your comment will go through after you click "publish", but it won't be visible until approved.