Friday, March 3, 2017

Running Away

  There is something I failed to think about before creating Rip van Winkle's soap saver... It hasn't destroyed the project, and he actually likes it better now. But it is something that would upset me if the project was larger or more special.

crochet, soap saver, colors running, Peaches & Creme yarn, review

  Do you notice a difference from the finished project I originally shared? I did wonder how long this piece would stay white, but that was only because Rip will be scrubbing concrete off himself with it... I wasn't planning on it changing before he ever got to use it. I've used other colors of this yarn before, so I was expecting some difference. Not like this. 


crochet, soap saver, colors running, Peaches & Creme yarn, review

  I do like using Peaches & Creme yarn because it's a nice smooth cotton, a good value, and it doesn't split much. I've used their solid colors that fade slightly after washing, and I've used a darker variegated that did the same without running together. I didn't expect any different from this lighter shade.


crochet, soap saver, colors running, Peaches & Creme yarn, review


  Now that I've seen what happens with each new color I use, I think it's safe to say they will all do it. So if you pick up a cone or a ball expecting the color to remain exactly the same, think again. I think the label should look more like this:

crochet, soap saver, colors running, Peaches & Creme yarn, review


  This is where I have to ask a question that may seem obvious to most: How are you supposed to wash colors separately? Like, I get how laundry goes; whites with whites; dark and brights separate; always make sure the red hat didn't end up in the load of white shirts; remove tree frogs from washer before beginning. But... How are you supposed to wash a multi-colored item without the colors bleeding together?

crochet, soap saver, colors running, Peaches & Creme yarn, review

  Well, I guess you can't. The good point is that we never expected this project to remain white for long, anyway. But if I was making an extra-special pattern and planned on the finished result remaining that nice crisp white with bright flecks of color, I would be majorly disappointed. And if the colors ran this much with just the first cold-water wash, how bad will it get when he uses it under hot water? Maybe it will turn white again, after all. 😊


  This isn't a bad review, just a warning. I'm still perfectly happy with the results of all my patterns made with Peaches & Creme. But from now on, I'll always expect a difference in color for the finished project.

Happy Crocheting!

11 comments:

  1. That's pretty bad form. Really, there should not be so much excess that it ruins the product. If the colours are fading badly are they just not using a good enough mordant? This is a fail from the manufacturer if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been learning about this because I'm looking into dying my own yarn, and it's what has scared me away from doing it. It could be the mordant, or the dye itself. Certain dyes react/stick to some fibers better than others. and cotton is one of the worst to get the dye to stay in. At first I thought it had to do with that, but...

      I also wonder if they don't rinse it at after dying. From what I've been learning, I think the dye should have ran already by the time they're done treating it. This is something that might happen when the fiber has been over-dyed and not rinsed out before drying.
      Alas, I am a novice at what I know here. Someone experienced in dying might have more of an answer for us. What I do know is: There are other colorfast cottons out there and this can be avoided.

      Delete
  2. That's absolutely rediculous! How is one supposed to wash the colours separately? Did they actually read the label through after designing it - didn't they notice it's illogical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjan, I'm thinking they mean to wash other items separately "in case" the colors run. I could understand that, but this much bleeding would just ruin a project. Some fading is one thing... This tie-dye effect will never do.

      Delete
  3. That sucks. I use Lily Sugar n Cream and love to make facial scrubbies, but with the rubbing alcohol I use to clean my face, it fades my scrubbies quickly. It is sad to see the colors fade, but exciting when you get to make some new ones... Which I'm due for.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been researching and I came across a post for how to make yarn colorfast: http://www.handsoccupied.com/these-colors-wont-run/
      But she uses vinegar, and you're supposed to use salt for cotton. I'll be doing some experimenting with this yarn. I wonder if it would help your scrubbies fight the fade, but alcohol is pretty harsh on colors. (It removes permanent marker, so I think maybe you won't stop it.)

      Delete
  4. I use this brand of cotton yarn a lot making totes, caps, wraps, bags, dishcloths, ect. I even make afghans and summer weight blankets with it. Obviously, I enjoy working with the stuff, lol! I started out with Peaches and Cream but that company was bought out by another company that makes Sugar and Creme (I think it's a Canadian company?). I still find Peaches and Cream at Walmart.

    I find the solid colors do tend to fade somewhat as do some of the variegated colorways. The colorway shown above is one I've used although my favorite is the salt and pepper colorway which is being discontinued to my sorrow. But I consider these to be a painted, rather than a true variegated yarn. Doesn't matter to me too much. I'll continue using this brand. I've cried a few other cotton yarns but still prefer this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I agree that it is a good yarn - Which is what makes the fading more disappointing to me. It's just short of being perfect because of it.
      The price is one of the best features, and I used to love the variety of colors. But, the local Walmart has been downsizing their craft aisle, and there's only five colors to choose from now. The two situations combined have me wanting to try something else for a change. It's still an easy pickup when I'm in the store at 10pm and nothing else is open.
      PS - You're right; Peaches & Creme is now owned by Spinrite, which is a Canadian company. But it's funny, they don't advertise that they are affiliated.

      Delete
  5. That's sad that your local Walmart has downsized to such an extent. We had two Walmarts for a long time and they both had large craft and sewing departments. Then they downsized the craft departments and eliminated the sewing departments. Bad move. Five years or so later they realized how much business they had lost to JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and Michael's and reintroduced the sewing departments and expanded the craft departments again. I was so glad because everything cost twice as much at the other stores. Our Walmarts carry a decent range of colors in the cones and a fairly large selection in the skeins. The cones at the other stores I mentioned cost $15 and Walmart sells them for $8..... why such a difference? It is disappointing that the colors don't remain vivid. I know some of the other brands do retain their color better but I find some of them too soft or too thin for a lot of what I make.....always a trade off of some kind, amiright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Kim; there is always a trade. My only other option for yarn is Michaels, unless I want to drive about an hour out of town. I'm starting to prefer ordering online, but then you can't see/feel a new yarn in person. Always a trade. :)

      Delete
    2. And therein lies the problem with retail stores and digital shopping. Retail stores are offering fewer and more meager selections of so many things in their physical stores because "everybody" is shopping online. "Everybody" is NOT shopping online. Approximately 90% of all sales are still made in brick and mortar stores because people want to see, touch, try on, manipulate or feel the things that they're buying. I may buy a yarn that I've already used online because I've touched it and handled it and know it's properties. But I'm very reluctant to buy a yarn that I've never used before based on a picture and a description even if it's from a brand that I'm familiar with. And there's the issue of color matching when you buy online. I've bought yarn online that my stores ran out of to finish a project and what it looked like online certainly isn't the same as what it looks like in person. Were I just going by the pictures instead of the name and colorway number, I'd not have thought that it was the same color! Sigh. It's always a gamble ordering an unfamiliar item online. But some retailers are not leaving us much choice.

      Delete

Comment moderation is now enabled because of those nasty spammers - Sorry!
Your comment will go through after you click "publish", but it won't be visible until approved.